Thursday, June 5, 2008

James Penton



He owns a small corner in this place where he is always in the zone. He tinkers with some electrical equipment studying their minute detail like a mad doctor who doesn’t want to miss a heartbeat. Then he begins turning small knobs and pushing some buttons in precise fashion. Of course, as a calibration technician, accuracy is the name of the game and small mistakes put one at high stakes.

For James Penton, calibration is the air he breathes, his life he said. This 26-year old alumnus and ECE graduate whose job requires precision thinks of three things that qualify one to be a technician, “He should be methodical, honest, and conscientious,” he said.

He imbues all of these qualities, no doubt. Being methodical, he got from his supervisor, Ryan Sarabia. Being conscientious, from his unit head, Roy Zapata. “I got used to doing things my own way, but Mr. Sarabia tells me, not to do shortcuts and I see his great sincerity in doing his job,” he said. “With Sir Roy, he has a strict time frame and he gets things done with constant follow-ups,” he continued.

Seven years ago, James was an ordinary student, if by ordinary he means being in the honor roll in high school and a couple of plums on his freshman year in CITE. “Honestly, I learned to have study habits here and pay close attention to my spiritual formation.” Being a true-blue Boholano, he despises the “ija-ija, aho-aho” (to each his own) stigma and claims to have been helping others. A sponsorship under Penton Clan proves his generosity.

If calibration is indeed his trade, James has strong credentials which can hold a candle against anyone. He has gone to Japan and Singapore for some calibration training plus five local trainings related to the field. He speaks of calibration like the back of his hand. “Our awareness on calibration is not that strong. Some would consider calibration only for compliance and not by heart. They are not still aware of what calibration can do to quality, health, and safety.”

CITE Electrical Standard and Testing Laboratory or Cal-Lab became a second home for James. That is why when CITE decided to pull the plug on the Cal-Lab operation this year, James became sad. “We knew it was coming, but I never expected it to be so soon. Most companies nowadays wanted a one-stop shop. Our lab only caters specifically on calibrating electrical instruments only.”

James however claimed an upscale on the calibration needs in Cebu: “Many calibration labs in Manila are starting to expand their services here in Cebu.” Thus opportunities are flung open for those who have the expertise. “I will be leaving CITE on Saturday. I will be working with ATS, a Singaporean company, based in Manila. I really don’t want to leave CITE, but I can’t turn back from doing things I love most which is calibration.”

How about teaching? “I’m not competent. I’m not comfortable. I consider the teaching way up there. You need to be a good role model and I think I fall short of that standard.”

CITE will surely miss James Penton although he keeps his profile pretty low at all times. His absence will be greatly felt, but we always want to wish him well as he embarks on another journey across life’s stream. Is he also sizing up his career move? “I don’t restrict myself to a time frame. Anything goes with guidance from above, ” he ended with his usual throaty voice.

No comments: